Bachelor of Science (Nursing Studies)
This course provides Registered Nurses with an opportunity to obtain an Australian degree if they hold a diploma level qualification in their country of origin.
Students granted full advanced standing (16 units) will then be required to complete the remaining eight units of study and upon successful completion will obtain a Bachelor of Science (Nursing Studies) degree from Edith Cowan University.
After completion of the degree, nurses will be eligible to work in the UK, Middle East and other countries where an Australian Nursing degree is recognised and required for work permit, in addition to other requirements.
The course is not professionally-accredited and therefore does not lead to registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
Advanced standing could result in the course being completed in one year.
ECU, Colombo Campus
May also be available online through ECU, Colombo Campus
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply broad health knowledge to a range of theoretical and practical nursing situations.
- Access, evaluate and synthesise relevant information from multiple sources using digital technologies to inform nursing practice.
- Anticipate and identify potential challenges and develop appropriate nursing strategies and solutions.
- Critically analyse, interpret and conceptualise complex nursing practice.
- Demonstrate a global outlook with respect for cultural diversity, including Indigenous cultural competence.
- Demonstrate autonomy, accountability and judgement for own learning and professional nursing practice in accordance with nursing standards for practice.
- Understand the Registered Nurse Standards for Practice required by governing bodies.
- Independently communicate nursing knowledge, concepts and values clearly and coherently.
- Work collaboratively within the nursing team and with other health care professionals to ethically and effectively respond to diverse health care challenges.
Course Structure / Units
- NSI1102 Academic and Communication Skills for Nursing
- NSI1204 Evidence Based Practice in Nursing
- NSI1205 Legal and Ethical Requirements in Nursing
- NSI2402 Nursing Older People
- NSI2306 Nursing Adults 1
- NSI2409 Nursing Adults 2
- NSI3503 Children and Young People’s Nursing
- NSI3612 Research and Teaching in Nursing
*Please note units are subject to change
- Academic: All applicants are required to be Registered Nurse in their country of original or should have a recognised equivalent Diploma.
- English: IELTS 6.0 with no band less than 6.0 or equivalent. View entry requirements.
*There are 16 additional units that may be credited as Advanced Standing, allowing students to complete the course in one year.
CRICOS Code: 083404D
Course Code: Y61